Wrocław University of Science and Technology formerly known as the Technical University of Wrocław (until 2000) was founded by Germans as the Technische Hohschule Breslau in Wrocław (Breslau) in 1910. After the 2nd World War on 24 August 1945 the university was founded by a group of 27 professors, who worked in the polish University of Lvov and Technical University of Lvov in Lvov, Poland (now Ukraine) and in Warsaw, Poland before the war, arrived in Wrocław and started the Polish academic society in the destroyed or severely damaged buildings of the Technische Hochschule Breslau. The first lecture was given by Kazimierz Idaszewski — professor of electrical engineering on 15 November 1945. From that time on the university started its autonomous scientific activity and Wrocław Science Day is celebrated every year.
Today the university belongs to the best technical universities in Poland. It employs over 2,000 academics and research workers in its Wrocław seat and its 3 branches in other towns of Lower Silesia. Altogether almost 34,000 students study at the 12 faculties.
The Faculty of Mechanical and Power Engineering of Wrocław University of Science and Technology comprises 6 departments with which almost 90 academics and researchers are affiliated and who organise teaching and research into individual subjects or groups of subjects. At the moment almost 2,300 full- and part-time students take different courses in a wide range of areas, offering flexibility and choice. These are in most cases related to the research subjects offered by individual departments. The research conducted in the faculty departments is connected with the branches of engineering that deal with the production of conventional energy, nuclear energy and energy from renewable resources, as well as with the aeronautical industry, machinery industry, heating and refrigeration industries, petrochemical industry, food industry and pharmaceutical industry.